** Important Announcement **
The Executive Board of the CDM (the Board), at its 108th meeting (EB 108), agreed on temporary measures pending guidance from the Conference of the Parties serving as the meeting of the Parties to the Kyoto Protocol (CMP) at its sixteenth session, for the following submissions:
- Requests for registration of project activities and programmes of activities (PoAs), renewal of crediting periods and PoA periods, and inclusion and renewal of crediting periods of component project activities that have a crediting period or PoA period starting on or after 1 January 2021;
- Requests for issuance of certified emission reductions for emission reductions achieved on or after 1 January 2021.
The Board, at EB 109, adopted a clarification on the application of these temporary measures at the regulatory and operational levels. The CMP, at its sixteenth session, clarified the nature and implications of the temporary measures (Decision 2/CMP.16
, paras. 13-15). The Board, at EB 113, revised the clarification
to reflect the CMP decision.
Under the temporary measures, it is required to:
- Submit the "Risk acknowledgement and acceptance form"(CDM-RAA-FORM) duly completed and signed by the focal point of the project activity or PoA;
- Apply the lowest global warming potential (GWP) value from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) assessment reports for each greenhouse gas for a 100-year time horizon in converting emission reductions achieved on or after 1 January 2021 to carbon dioxide equivalents in project and programme design documents or in monitoring reports for emission reductions achieved on or after 1 January 2021 (the lowest GWP value for each greenhouse gas is available here);
- Validation reports for the project and programme design documents shall contain a forward action request (FAR) that requires the project participants and the coordinating/managing entities to:
- Apply any GWP values that may be adopted by the CMP for that period in their monitoring reports for any emission reductions achieved on or after 1 January 2021; and
- Update their project or programme design documents in accordance with any requirements of the CMP guidance.