What is the CDM
What is the clean development mechanism?
The CDM allows emission-reduction projects in developing countries to earn certified emission reduction (CER) credits, each equivalent to one tonne of CO2. These CERs can be traded and sold, and used by industrialized countries to a meet a part of their emission reduction targets under the Kyoto Protocol.
The mechanism stimulates sustainable development and emission reductions, while giving industrialized countries some flexibility in how they meet their emission reduction limitation targets.
The CDM is the main source of income for the UNFCCC Adaptation Fund, which was established to finance adaptation projects and programmes in developing country Parties to the Kyoto Protocol that are particularly vulnerable to the adverse effects of climate change. The Adaptation Fund is financed by a 2% levy on CERs issued by the CDM. more »
The central feature of the Kyoto Protocol (66 kB) is its requirement that countries limit or reduce their greenhouse gas emissions. By setting such targets, emission reductions took on economic value. To help countries meet their emission targets, and to encourage the private sector and developing countries to contribute to emission reduction efforts, negotiators of the Protocol included three market-based mechanisms - emissions trading, the clean development mechanism (CDM) and Joint Implementation (JI).
Issues related to the negotiations
- Materiality standard under the clean development mechanism (CDM) more »
- Standardized baselines under the CDM more »
- Implications of the inclusion of reforestation of lands with forest in exhaustion as afforestation and reforestation CDM project activities more »
- The implications of the establishment of new hydrochlorofluorocarbon-22 (HCFC-22) more »
- Implications of possible changes to the limit established for small-scale afforestation and reforestation CDM project activities more »
- Sulfur oxide
- Carbon dioxide Capture and Storage (CCS) as CDM project activities more »
- Market and non-market mechanisms more »
Related audio files
- CDM Decisions by the CMP
- Annual reports to the CMP
- Regular reports to the CDM EB
- Modalities and procedures for a CDM
- For Procedures, Guidance, Clarifications, Forms and Tools relating to CDM projects activities, check the Rules and Reference section more »
Offset now: visit the United Nations Carbon Offset Platform
Connect with us: